Although symptoms of dementia vary between individuals, there are some common warning signs.
Signs and symptoms of dementia include (but not limited to):
- Memory loss (forgetfulness) that occurs gradually, and worsens progressively with time. Immediate and short-term memory loss occurs first.
- Difficulty in communication.
- Problems recognising familiar faces, places, or items.
- Worsening of problem-solving abilities and increasing disorganization.
- Problems with daily activities such as dressing and using utensils during mealtimes.
In addition, changes to moods and behaviours may also occur, such as:
- Sleep problems
Christel & Her Grandparents
Source: ForgetUsNot Initiative by LIEN Foundation, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital and Dementia Singapore